Saturday, June 2, 2012

Weekly Shlockness with John Mikula


Originally, when Mike and I first started this blog, we had intended to write full on reviews for the games we were playing alongside of our Let’s Plays and other video non-sense. Now, if you’re an avid Shlockhead and like to keep up with all of our Shlocky doings then you’ll know that reviews on this blog are few and far between. I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t our fault, but game reviews take a lot of love to compose. Every sentence must flow into the next, a picture must be painted in the readers mind, and our points/criticisms must be dispersed with ever so much care and compassion that the reader is ladled into a hypnotic state and feels as if they are playing the game themselves. It’s an emotional hurricane writing video game reviews which is partly why we haven’t gotten around to writing as many as we’d like. The other reason is that we’re both busy as sh*t. In order to mitigate this, both Mike and I will each be writing a shorter column each week on the games we’ve been playing for that particular week. We’ll relay our thoughts/opinions about the game and (if you’re lucky) maybe a funny quip or two so you, our lovely and talented reader, can get a better grasp on what these two Youtube sensations think about games both new and old. So, without further introduction, here is your weekly Shlockness.

picture from: www.thegamerspulse.com
                So, I’m a big Arkham city fan. I think that this whole Batman Arkham franchise is one of the smartest and most entertaining new franchises to hit this generation. With that said it should come as no surprise to you that I went ahead and got the new DLC pack Harley Quinn's Revenge. Basically Harley has gone a bit manic depressive since the end of the main game and is building some sort of super attack force to break out of Arkham City. At least, I think that’s what happens. They don’t really go into too much. All you need to know is Harley is nuts and has a bunch of guns, so she needs to be stopped.
                It’s then up to the player to stop her. You’ll go around the new building that this DLC pack makes available and take part in some rhythmic batman brawling with a few silent predator sequences thrown in to spice things up. You get to play as both Batman and Robin in this DLC which is pretty cool. Robin controls basically the same as Batman yet still manages to seem not as badass. You’ll do this for about an hour and a half maybe and then it’s over. Yea…it’s pretty short, but it’s fun regardless. If you liked Arkham City then you’ll have a fun time with this. The only problem is that this DLC pack costs ten bucks. When all was said and done I found ten dollars to be a little pricy for what you get out of this pack, especially since there isn’t really any big plot twist or story point revealed in the whole thing, which was kind of a letdown. I got this because I thought maybe it would act as a transition to the next Batman game, but that is not the case.
                When I was through with that (that very same night even) I started playing something I never thought I’d play; Silent Hill (the first one for PSX). Now, the reason I say I thought I’d never play this survival horror classic is because I’m kind of a pussy who gets scared really easily; however, I have a friend who raves about this franchise fairly often; and the way he described it sounded pretty cool to me. So, I decided to bite the bullet and give it a go.

picture from: www.gamezone.com
                Turns out I had a really fun time with this game. It wasn’t really as scary as I thought it would be; instead, it was very atmospheric. There’s a lot of ominous music that plays and the art style is creepy but what really worked well was the feeling of isolation I got while playing. It’s an open world environment, so you’re left to just wander around Silent Hill, and the town is completely deserted (a few monsters and creepy townsfolk excluded). That, accompanied with the ever present fog of Silent Hill leaves you with a horrible, isolated feeling of dread that got me pretty tense basically the whole way through. The game could have easily been much scarier, but I appreciated that it wasn’t. There are so many spot where, had they placed some zombie monsters, I would have sh*t my pants. But they didn’t, and I am thankful for that. Also, there is a lovely radio on your character at all times, and the radio emits static if enemies are near; so if your radio is silent you can feel free to relax for a moment.
I beat the game on easy mode after a few days. At first I started playing on normal but I kept running out of health drinks and ammo and I thought to myself “if this game is scary AND frustrating I’m never going to get through it” so I nudged down the difficulty. Turns out easy mode is pretty damn easy. I always had plenty of ammo and the basic monsters do, like, no damage. Playing on easy was actually a pretty good decision because the combat system isn’t very good (the game employs tank controls, so it was pretty hard to position yourself for a good melee attack) however, with the easy mode edge, enemies went down much quicker/easier and the combat system didn’t feel like too much of a deterrent. As I said, I had a really good time with Silent Hill. If you haven’t played it, it’s worth picking up.
That’s it for my portion of weekly Shlockness. Check out this blog Monday (maybe) for all the crazy sh*t Mike’s been playing this past week.
               
                

No comments:

Post a Comment