Saturday, July 7, 2012

Weekly Shlockness with John Mikula


Hey Everybody! Happy 7th of July, or as we in the biz like to call it, shmindependence day. Not many people know this, but today is the day in which we as a nation return all the sh*tty gifts that all the other nations gave us for our birthday; which, in itself is a day to celebrate. I mean, a beret? Seriously France? Now, I don’t know about y’all, but when shmindependence day rolls around in the Mikula household, we like to gather around our fireplace, roast some chest nuts, sing a few shmindependence carols and read our favorite gaming blogs. Now that I’m a part of Shlockness Industries, it is my job to make sure that you lovely and talented readers have all of the necessary blogery you need to make your shmindependence day something truly special. Now grab a loved one, snuggle up with your foreign gift receipts, and celebrate this wonderful holiday with this edition of Weekly Shlockness.
What the f*ck are we supposed to do with this?

                Hey, remember a couple weeks ago when I told y’all about the Indie Humble Bundle? Well, now that I’ve gotten Silent Hill 2 out of the way, I’ve decided to get back into the bundle. Now, I know what you’re thinking: “But John! You can’t go from Silent Hill to regular gaming that quickly. You’ll get Silent Shock and break your neck!” Well I accounted for that, and in order to avoid Silent Shock (as the professionals call it) I’ve decided to easy my system back into its normal groove by playing a game that is similar to Silent Hill but isn’t quite there. I’m talking of course about Jasper Byrne’s Lone Survivor.
I hear ya man. I hear ya loud and clear
picture from: www.indiegamebundles.com
                Lone Survivor is a 2D survival horror game with a lot of psychological elements to it. According to the lore, there has been some kind of cataclysmic event that rendered everyone either dead or transformed into some kind of horrible twitchy skin monsters. Or…maybe not. Right now the story has the main character experiencing all sorts of hallucinations and psychic trauma that I’m really not sure if there are any real monsters or if it’s just in my head. I suppose we’ll find out as I get through the game.

                With the story elements aside I’m really appreciating the gameplay within this title. This isn’t one of your newfangled survival horror games with set pieces and action; this is an old school survival horror game. The player is left with very little ammo, few light sources, and very threatening enemies. The monsters in this game make very distinct noises and whenever I hear one coming I can feel my stomach drop a little bit. However, this does raise an issue that I have with the game which is that the enemies are hard to avoid. Because of the 2D perspective any enemies in front of you will completely block your path. So it’s not like Resident Evil or Silent Hill where you can rely on your third dimension to simply walk around the enemies if they get to close; in Lone Survivor, one enemy if front of you is a total road block. More often than not I felt that my only option was to shoot my way past certain enemies, which is kind of a bummer when you have such limited ammo. Occasionally you can sink into little hiding spots within the walls and lure the creatures past you with rotten meat so you can get around them; however, these instances aren’t very common and results in the player wasting their limited supply of meat every time they want to pass that hall way, which is probably pretty often.
This auto aim seems pretty gracious
picture from: www.fronttowardsgamer.com
                There is definitely an interesting UI in place here. On screen indicators are minimal and in some cases even hidden from the player completely. Occasionally the main character will tell the player that they are hungry or sleepy, at which point I usually will feed my character some food you can find in the environment or find a bed to sleep in. This is an interesting way of doing things since you don’t have a hunger/tired bar to keep track of, but I do have some problems with this mechanic. My problem is not with the method of presenting the information to you but rather that it is completely unknown to me if it is even necessary to eat and sleep at all. From what I’ve seen, being hungry or sleepy didn’t seem to affect my character in the slightest. I’m left wondering if I’m wasting time/resources for nothing or if there are some serious implications for not taking care of your dude.

I’m also not fully convinced of the art style of this game. Typically in this day and age, games that use an over pixelated art style are either trying to pay homage to a particular genre, or poke fun at it. Survival horror doesn’t really have any roots in the realm of overly pixelated 2D games so I don’t see how this could pay homage to anything, yet the tones are completely serious and don’t seem to be poking fun at anything either. It’s an interesting choice in graphics that doesn’t quite sit well with me. Occasionally I’ll see something that looks totally convincing and spooky, but other times the game just looks silly. The main character is supposed to be wearing a respirator over his mouth the entire game, but whenever I look at him it seems like he has a big goofy smile.

The art style and the 2D perspective are both very interesting design choices that I don’t really think work with this genre, but don’t let that statement give off the impression that I don’t like this game. I am totally enjoying myself when I play this game. The gameplay is (despite its problems) very fun to behold, and the psychological horror elements are the icing on the cake. I definitely plan on finishing this game and I’ll be sure to let y’all know my final verdict when I do.
"I just brought you a Shmindependence Day brownie"
picture from: www.superflatgames.com
Now, with all of the Shmindependence Day celebrations going on, it’s probably hard to recall everything that happened on Independence Day. What’s left of my memories consist of a milky haze of beer, brats, beer-brats, crappy berets, and maybe a firecracker here or there. The one thing I can recall for certain is that there was plenty of El Shaddai to be had that day.
I think I ate too many beer-brats
picture from: www.gamezone.com
El Shaddai is a spectacle fighter (think God of War) with a heavy theme of Christianity. You play a guy named Enoch (who is an actually biblical figure if I’m not mistaken) who is talked into fighting a bunch of dudes by some other dude named Lucifel for some reason. I’m sure the actual game is not nearly as vague as I’ve portrayed it, but with all the beer-brats flying around that day it was kind of hard to pay attention. Any way, it turns out the dudes you’re supposed to be fighting are building the tower of babel (more bible stuff) and you have to stop them. In order to do that, the player is left to run, jump, and fight their way up the tower and kill all of the dudes inside. What’s interesting about the gameplay is that it has a lot more depth than I expected. It feels a lot like God of War when you first start playing it, but it soon introduces a whole bunch of new ideas that make this game a very distinct variant on the formula. For instance, there are three weapons in the game (whose names I don’t remember) and each of these weapons gives the player new kinds of mobility and new kinds of fighting style. The bow lookin’ melee thing allows you to perform fast attacks as well as a double jump, while the shield thing has a very slow build up but lets you block as you move. They may sound like generic weapons to have in a game like this but they actually mix up the gameplay quite a bit. Everyone I’ve talked to who’s played this game seems to have their own preference. I liked the bow thing because it was fast and the double jump was good for the platforming sections, but a friend of mine liked the shield because it hits really hard. Each weapon also needs to be charged with purifying energy every now and again if it is to be kept at full effectiveness. This makes for some interesting situations in which I’ll be fighting some dudes and have to get away from them in order to charge up my blade and finish the job.

The one thing that is apparent when you boot up El Shaddai is that the game oozes visual style. This isn’t your normal interpretation of Heaven and Hell; it’s a very trippy and surreal version. There are tons of colors, wavy forms, and floating platforms. The whole game is brilliant to look at and would be well worth playing just to get a feel for the world that they’ve built. I should also make a comment on the music. It was quite loud at the 4th of July party I played this at, but it is my understanding that the music is quite good. I wish I could be a little more descriptive than that, but hey, that’s the kicks.
"Stay back! Or I'll totally whack you with my bow-lookin' thing"
picture from: www.g4tv.com
All in all I think El Shaddai has a lot of promise. It easy to see how this could have just turned into a Japanese God of War, but it’s not. I very much appreciate the ideas that were put into the mechanics of this game and I look forward to playing more at some point in the future. On that note I’m going to wrap up this blog post. Wow! I didn’t insult Mike once during the whole thing. I guess that’s the power of Shmindependence Day. Okay, give me a second…Mike sucks….MMwMM is a waste of time. Phew, that was a close one but as I always say: “give the people what they want”. Now I’d like to close this Weekly Shlockness with a list of all the (supposedly) misspelled words I used in this blog post according to Microsoft word.

                Shlockness
                Mikula
                Shmindependence
                Sh*tty
                Blogery
                Shaddai
                Lucifel
                Lookin’
                Platforming
                MMwMM

Happy 4th/7th of July everybody! From all of us at Shlockness Industries!

No comments:

Post a Comment